June 19, 2012

My First Piece of Art...

I put it out there to the twitterverse a few weeks ago that I would be happy to answer any and all questions from you about me, or my art.

@apnuttmama wrote "What was the first piece of art you ever created."

Oh gosh...that would probably go back to grade 3 to a drawing of a dolphin underwater in the days that I wanted to be a marine biologist.

Since I don't have a photo of that masterpiece, I thought that I would post the first piece that I created that has a whole lot of meaning behind it - my Dad's favourite.

The Gates - 2004
It was the first piece {in a series of four} that I painted on wood, using drywall plaster first to build up the surface to make it three dimensional. I absolutely loved the technique, and when my Dad saw it for the first time, he said that he saw fireworks.

It made me really proud, and it's continued to be a piece that I hang on my wall with pride...only now we don't seem to have a wall for it anymore. I'd love for it to find a new home...but it's pretty big {about 24"x30"} so I'm not sure what the future holds for this red blazing beauty.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips